- Since I started my true journey toward better health from the inside out AND the outside in, I’ve been going through all of my beauty products and eliminating toxic ingredients; things that are bad for me and the environment. I looked at the label on my cosmetic deodorant at home and was shocked. It was jam-packed full of harmful ingredients.
Perspiration (a natural and healthy body function) has almost no odor, but the bacteria that breaks sweat down into acids does—which is why most days, most of us reach for the deodorant. Sweating is your body’s natural way of ridding toxins. For years now I’d been hearing about possible links between the chemicals used in antiperspirants and deodorants and diseases such as breast cancer and Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately, most deodorants on the market are made with toxic ingredients that are hazardous to our health.
What sort of toxic chemicals lurks in your antiperspirants and deodorants? Plenty. The Breast Cancer Fund (BCF) reports that the following common ingredients in these products may cause cancer:
- Triclosan can affect hormones and could be linked to breast cancer:
- Phthalates are endocrine disruptors, which interfere with the body’s hormone function and also are linked to breast cancer, although the studies have only fueled controversy, and
- Parabens have been found in breast cancer biopsies and are known to be absorbed into the skin. They also disrupt hormones and mimic natural estrogens, a cause of breast cancer.But these are not the only controversial compounds found in deodorants and antiperspirants. They can also include:
- Aluminum, which can hinder sweat and may be linked to breast cancer. It also disrupts lymph nodes and is linked to Alzheimer’s;
- Propylene glycol, which absorbs water, is another controversial chemical. It has been declared dangerous by the CDC, yet low levels of this chemical are approved by the FDA in personal care products. It can also irritate the skin and cause allergic reactions;
- Natural Cosmetics News says ingredients like TEA and DEA adjust pH levels and are used for fragrance or as a preservative. The Environmental Working Group’s database of toxic chemicals, Skin Deep, lists TEA as a low possibility of being toxic and DEA as a very high possibility;
- Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen and can cause other negative reactions in the body, and
- Natural Cosmetics News also names FD&C colors, which can be made from coal or tar and are carcinogenic.
Most of these chemicals have not been adequately studied for either toxicity or their possible links to breast cancer, but adding up the possible toxins is overwhelming. It may be time for an armpit cleanse!
Breast cancer has long been a problem for American women, but recently it’s gotten even worse. The American Cancer Society report, “Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014 (PDF),” states that in 2013, over 39,000 women in the U.S. “were expected to die from breast cancer. Only lung cancer accounts for more cancer deaths in women.” Could an armpit cleanse reduce your chances of breast cancer?
What Can you Do To Remove Toxic Underarm Deodorants and Antiperspirants From Your Body?
First of all, it’s important to know that these are two different types of products. Deodorants remove the odor of sweat, but antiperspirants reduce sweating in the first place. Sweat is a healthy physical response to exertion that prevents you from overheating. It also may release toxins and may even fight off colds and infections. Eliminating sweat will cause you more harm than good and may even contribute to causing breast cancer. So whatever you decide to do, I recommend replacing that antiperspirant right away.
Now that I have all of this information, what should I do to help prevent Breast Cancer?
Based on the possible causes of Breast Cancer Studies, I created my own homemade DIY deodorant recipe. It had to be effective, yet gentle, and (of course) non-toxic. But first, the transition.
How to Transition from Cosmetic Deodorant to Natural Deodorant
Armpit Cleanse: One Way to Make Strides Against of Breast Cancer
What is an armpit cleanse? It’s more than just changing your deodorant. It’s also a way to detox your body and help reduce your risk of breast cancer. I was introduced to the armpit cleanse two Summers by my dear friend and fellow natural skin care company CEO Rita Pardo of Naturally Me and You. I also came across a product called Herbalix, which sells a system that contains a nighttime detox deodorant and a daytime deodorant as well. They claim to have reduced a patient’s cysts. In “Lumpy Breasts? Cure Breasts Cysts,” Neverman shares thermal imaging provided by Herbalix showing a reduction in cysts after detoxing with their product. Of course, this only helps breast cancers caused by cysts, which are a small percentage, but it’s a powerful testimony to the power of an armpit detox. If you are going to try one, keep in mind that like other detoxes, you may have reactions.
How to Do an Armpit Cleanse
There are a few simple steps you need to take to detox and safely switch to a natural deodorant. The following four steps make up Madinina Kiss’ recommended cleanse:
1. After you stop using your current deodorant, use a Dead Sea Salt Scrub while showering to remove dead skin and toxins from under your armpit;
2. Apply a small amount of Arm & Hammer baking soda to armpits when wet, then apply Madinina Kiss Natural Deodorant Cream. If you are sensitive to baking soda, as I am, you can mix Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay bentonite clay with apple cider vinegar and water to create a yogurt type of consistency. This is what I recommend for people who have sensitive skin; I recommend doing this at night because the bentonite clay does stain your clothing.
3. When you smell an odor coming from your armpits, wash them and then apply aluminum free baking soda. After that, apply the natural deodorant again. Or if you are sensitive to baking soda, use the bentonite clay mixture. If you are out and about, and you feel sweaty, apply the natural deodorant again.
4. Repeat this process for up to two weeks or until you natural deodorant works for up to 6 hours.
Follow Steps 1 and 2, except instead of applying the deodorant, apply our organic raw Shea Butter and allow the detoxification process to work while you sleep. This is another one of those amazing things that nature gives us. Raw and unrefined shea butter is high in vitamins A and E and is incredibly soothing for your skin. Sounds like a good thing to put in such a vulnerable place, like your armpits, huh!?
Note that the first day you start, you may be repeating these steps 5 to 10 times, but each day, that number will go down. My own cleanse ended after the 7th day, and the average person takes 4-7 days to complete this cleanse.
You can replace deodorants and antiperspirants with Madinina Kiss Natural Deodorant Cream brand. It will keep you odor free. We also suggest during this journey, to carry an extra jar cream in your bag.
Madinina Kiss Natural Deodorant Cream and the ingredients we use.
Yeah, and there are already about a million other homemade deodorant recipes out there. And then there is Madinina Kiss.
I am proud of this deodorant because it contains a few ingredients you may not have considered would be helpful in keeping you “fresh” or see in deodorants. But I’m ready to share it with you. It is effective, said by not only me and Oh, and it’s easy, to boot. Yay!
Coconut oil is a wonderful product to use as a base for deodorant because it kills fungi, yeast, and bacteria.
Baking soda helps to neutralize odor,
Arrowroot powder. This is a go-to for deodorant recipes, for good reason. Actually, I always have some on hand for both food and skincare recipes. Arrowroot not only helps to serve as a thickener in this deodorant, but it also has the power to help draw out toxins. Sweet! Since when we sweat we are eliminating toxins, why not help draw them out!?
It’s that simple. And of course, we add essential oils, so that you can smell fragrant.
If you are searching for a place to purchase a good deodorant, we recommend going to Madinina Kiss where you can purchase other natural skin care products, including body butter, body oils, and body scrubs. Clicking here will give you 10% off your first purchase.
Is an armpit cleanse for you? I think it’s worth a try as part of a cleaner, non-toxic lifestyle.
In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, let us remember those who fought and won, fought and gained the victory of death, for they suffer no more.
This year, I am again Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and I would love for you to support. You can help me by CLICKING HERE to make a donation. Join the fight against Breast Cancer!